Working in collaboration with Trapolin-Peer Architects, Kathy and Tony Gelderman are developing the site of this Bywater neighborhood school into 50 apartments. Formerly known as B.M. Palmer School and later renamed Lorraine Hansberry Elementary School, the School was constructed in 1930 for the New Orleans Public School Board. The property has been vacant and boarded since hurricane Katrina in 2005.
From acquisition facilitation to project visioning and execution, the goal of the project team is to create a transformative space, in an emerging neighborhood, as accessible housing.
Units will feature open “loft” floor plans, modern detailing, and residents will have access to a communal terrace, and other amenities such as a fitness center and pool. Many of the original historic elements will be preserved, including the wide historic corridors which will be carefully maintained while reclaiming some of the square footage as leasable area in the form of storage cabinets. These considerations will allow for the pursuit of state and federal historic tax incentives to offset development costs. Additional services provided include facilitation of the Neighborhood Participation Program.