Existing buildings at 2011 and 2055 on Jackson Barracks’ military installation were hastily repaired to house temporary administration offices after being flooded with 9 feet of water following Hurricane Katrina. In order to upgrade and stabilize these circa 1904 buildings, a number of improvements were made to create a permanent Post Headquarters and Administration Building for the State Military Department.
Much of the turn of the century charm had been stripped from the site. TPA both modernized the space for the use of seven State Military Departments while returning the buildings to the aesthetics of their initial construction and following the Secretary of the Interior Standards. Where possible, original doors and windows were restored.
Using a singular historic photo in existence, exterior railings were reconstructed to match the historic sizes and profiles. In order to meet code compliance, discreet cable rails were used to infill the voids between the horizontal metal elements on the front balconies. New column capitals were milled to match the original, surviving pilasters. The 1st-floor porches at the rear of each building were raised. By increasing the elevation of these porches to match the existing interior finish floor elevation, ADA accessibility was added to the buildings without losing the look of the balcony features.