Robért Fresh Market – St. Claude Ave.
Originally the Schwegmann Brothers Giant Supermarket Number 1, this renovation and new addition will house a Robért's Fresh Market Grocery Store and adjacent retail space on a prominent corner at St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields.
In 2017, Trapolin Peer Architects completed a historic renovation of the Robert Fresh Market grocery store. The site was home to the original Schwegmann Brother’s Giant Supermarket No. 1 location.
The Schwegmann Brothers store was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 2014 for its contribution to commerce at a local level. It was the first self-serving supermarket in New Orleans, moving away from small “mom-and-pop/corner stores” to a local chain. The period of significance for the store is 1946-1950 reflecting the years this store functioned as the only Schwegmann’s Supermarket.
The new store layout and design are pedestrian-oriented with access to the store from an entrance at the sidewalk level along St. Claude Avenue. Other features include a split parking lot for overflow parking, screened in receiving area, bike racks, perimeter sidewalk and fencing updates, outdoor seating, first floor indoor/outdoor dining area as well as a second-floor dining area with access to an exterior balcony. With Robert Fresh Market re-opened to the public, access to fresh food options in the Marigny neighborhood has been expanded.
Louisiana Landmarks Society – Award for Excellence 2018