The former Shell Building was constructed in 1952 to provide office space for the Shell Corporation and additional hotel rooms for the adjacent Fairmont Hotel. When the Fairmont Hotel was sold in 2006, the party wall separating the two building was closed off and this building’s 156 guestrooms were isolated from the renovation of the Hotel. Trapolin-Peer Architects began working with the current owners in 2011 to develop a plan to convert the upper floor guestrooms into 91 new apartment units as an extension of the side of the building that had already been converted into residential apartment units and to qualify the rehabilitation for both National and State Historic Tax Credits.
In addition to the renovation of the former hotel rooms into apartments, the rooftop mechanical penthouse was converted to an amenity space to service the new roof top deck and pool. An existing decommissioned elevator was also modernized and returned to service with a new stop created at the roof level for tenant access to the roof deck.