Located on the outskirts of the French Quarter, The Jewel of the South is an 1835 brick creole cottage turned bar and restaurant. The name, originating from the 1850s, was a New Orleans bar on Gravier Street where Joseph Santii first made the brandy crusta, now the featured drink of Jewel of the South. The main entry to the restaurant pulls patrons through the slate tiled ally to the rear revealing a treasured feature of the French Quarter, a brick walled courtyard lined with citrus trees. A ramp and raised courtyard creates accessibility to the building while forming intimate spaces within the open courtyard.
Within the cottage a large feature of the space is a dark wood stained historic bar from the northwest that was disassembled, transported, and pieced together by a local miracle worker. This piece served as the design inspiration for the rest of the space. The adding of historic elements like the light fixtures hanging from the wood framed structure above and mixing it with new features like the wood and brass bar rail crafted by local metal workers – that serves as a separation of space. By hugging the service spaces on the exterior walls, patrons weave through the space to the intimate lounge and bar. The stair was reworked to accommodate modern day code and create a seamless flow to the upper dining area that features a small bar, exposed wood roof rafters and original wood floors.