The 1906 McDonough 31 school located in the Esplanade Ridge Historic District was typical of many New Orleans’ public school facilities built in the early twentieth century. The school was designed in the American Beaux’s Arts style using reddish-tan brick with decorative cementitious trimming. However, it’s original layout featured separate boys’ and girls’ entrances. The building has been abandoned since Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
The former classroom, cloakrooms, offices, and bathrooms are converted into apartments whose modern amenities and architectural design work to further highlight historic components. Original corridors, doors/transoms, and classroom trim are maintained/restored and the building’s floors refinished. In addition, skylights were added to the roof to bring in natural light and larger more proportioned windows were installed in the existing dormers. The site layout is fairly simple incorporating stormwater management best practices and amenities such as vehicular parking, bicycle parking, and a pool.