Constructed in 1912, this eight-story Beaux-Arts style building last served as a mix-use retail and office building. The revitalization of the building included the restoration of the original exterior façade in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation in order to utilize Historic Tax Credits.
Replicated from historic photographs, the original Canal Street ground floor façade and portions of the burgundy façade were reconstructed after having been severely altered by previous owners in an attempt to modernize the building. Additionally, all of the existing exterior windows had to be replaced with new openings that not only met the current building codes but also met the Standards for Rehabilitation.
The once vacant interior shell was developed into a new 166 room boutique hotel, which is now part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. While the sleek guest rooms and eclectic lobby are modern in their design, there are still references to the historic aspects of the building. The original brick walls have been left exposed in the guest rooms, creating a nice contrast to the all-white walls and furniture. Oversize murals of historical photographs accent the 20-foot high wall of the ground floor lobby.