These two French Quarter buildings formerly housed Hurwitz-Mintz Furniture, with large, deep floorplates suited to furniture display and storage. To adapt these buildings for use as contemporary residences, the design needed to accommodate present life-safety code requirements, new building services, and a logical, clear plan with access to natural light.
Trapolin-Peer Architects’ new office space utilized the original building façade of a historic structure in the 800 block of Tchoupitoulas Street to create a modern and collaborative studio space for the firm. This pre-turn-of-the-century building is one of the few remaining designs in New Orleans by James Dakin, a preeminent architect of that time. Originally a three story structure built in 1846 by Sidle and Stewart, the the building has been home to Rowland Redmond, the Royal Broom factory and most recently Standard Supply and Hardware.
In keeping with the building’s historic and cultural past, the granite sills and masonry walls, common to the Warehouse District, were preserved and exposed as architectural design elements. Behind the preserved façade the ground floor is open to accommodate retail tenant space, while the upper two floors house the firm’s office and design studio. The upper floor of the design studio space is set back from the street and screened from pedestrian view, preserving the scale and character of Tchoupitoulas Street. Inside, the building features wood-accented contemporary finishes, custom millwork, and architectural lighting that complement the open floor plans of the offices, studio, and conference rooms. Interior glass walls allow natural light to filter from the street through to the interior offices, while a courtyard in the rear brings natural light and views to open studios and work-space.