The historic main campus of Tulane University is located in Uptown New Orleans. Richardson Memorial Hall, built in 1908, is located on the Gibson Quadrangle between Dinwiddie Hall and the Richardson Building. Originally constructed for the School of Medicine, the building has housed Tulane’s School of Architecture since 1968.
Trapolin-Peer’s scope of work is to renovate the historic building, with additions at the rear of the structure to bring for code compliance. These additions also serve to accommodate offices and seminar rooms. Construction and renovation will be phased and serve as a teaching tool as well as a pedagogical resources for the students. The project is also tasked with place-making within the context of the larger university.
The articulation of how new and old meet has been carefully considered thorough material palettes and formal approach, all while meeting the projects goal of LEED silver.
The historic limestone building will be renovated to provide an updated and modern interior, keeping in stride with the evolving education of architecture. The new addition provides critical space for students and faculty to collaborate and provide design dialogue. These spaces include faculty offices and meeting spaces, designated review and seminar rooms and a gallery space all meant to foster the students outside of the classroom.